Shutters look beautiful in various interior window treatment applications. Prior to deciding on what shutter will look best, read some frequently asked questions people have about California and Plantation shutters.
1. Why are Eclipse™ Shutters so popular?
Other window treatments do not compare to the versatility and classic style of Eclipse Shutters.
Shutters offer a streamlined look that can really pull a room together. With shutters, there are no cords that hang in an unsafe manner. Instead, the louvers are controlled by the center or rear tilt-bar for a seamless look. Though lightweight, Eclipse Shutters are sturdy and engineered to add the benefit of energy efficiency, blocking out the sun’s hot rays in the summer and cold drafts in the winter. Unlike many other brands of shutters, Eclipse Shutters can be expected to last at least 25 years with minimal care. Eclipse Shutters won’t be damaged by the sun since they are UV resistant, will never fade or warp, and can’t be damaged by water or steam in high moisture areas.
- Child Safe Design
- Washable and Easy to Maintain
- Extremely Durable
- Energy Efficient
- GREENGUARD® Certified for Children and Schools
- Dent Resistant
- Fire Retardant
- Privacy and Light Control
2. What are the parts of a shutter called
A shutter is comprised of 5 main components:
- Louvers are the blades of the shutters, and come in 2 1/2” , 3 1/2” and 4 1/2” widths
- The Tilt-Bar can be in the front, middle of the shutter, or hidden in the rear if using the Clearview® system. Either way, it controls how open the shutters are.
- The Top and Bottom Rails outline the shutters and contain the louvers between them.
- The Divider Rail runs through the center of some shutters, depending on size. When there’s a divider rail, the top and bottom louvers operate independently of each other allowing for the top to be open and the bottom closed, for example.
- The Frame surrounds the shutter and finishes off the decorative look of the window.
3. What colours do Eclipse Shutters come in?
Eclipse Shutters are available in a range of neutral shades that can fit in any type of decor.
Cotton: Our most popular colour and our brightest white.
Pearl: Our version of off-white.
Vanilla: Our version of cream.
Cottton: Our most popular colour and brightest white
White: White – with the slightest hint of cream
Pearl: Just Off-white
4. What is the difference between one louver size and another?
Louvers for Eclipse Shutters are available in 2 1/2 inches, 3 1/2 inches and 4 1/2 inches. The wider the louver, the wider the space between louvers will be when they’re fully open. Louvers measuring 3 1/2 inches provide 56% greater visibility than their smaller 2 1/2 inch counterpart. Similarly, the 4 1/2 inch louvers provide a view that’s 108% more clear than the 2 1/2 inch louvers.
5. How do I move shutter blades?
Eclipse Shutters have two options for moving the louvers. Traditional shutters use a tilt-bar that runs down the center of each shutter to easily adjust how open the louvers are and allows them to be tightly closed in either direction. Eclipse Shutters are also available in Clearview®, which means they’re equipped with hidden rear tilt-bars. Clearview® shutters are just as easy to open and close, but have a completely unobstructed view.
6. How are Eclipse Shutters cleaned?
Unlike other wood products, it’s incredibly easy to clean and care for your Eclipse Shutters. When needed, simply wet a soft cloth with water and wipe the shutter panels with the damp rag. They can also be cleaned with a mild soap, though not with lemon oil or furniture polish. Since Eclipse Shutters are non-porous, they will never mildew or mold.
Eclipse Shutters Canada authorized dealers have our environmentally safe cleaner specifically engineered to clean vinyl shutters. Please contact us for more information.
7. How are Eclipse Shutters installed?
Eclipse Shutters can be easily installed by the following:
- Eclipse Shutters Canada factory installers
- The dealer/designer from whom you bought the shutters from
- A professional installation company
- The homeowner
8. What type of warranty does Eclipse Shutters offer?
Eclipse Shutters are designed to last a lifetime when properly cared for and are guaranteed for 25 years.
9. Can I move shutters from house to house?
No. Shutters are custom made to your window measurements, so they’re not meant to move with you.
10. Do Eclipse Shutters increase the value of a home?
Eclipse Shutters help in two ways. They increase the curb-appeal on any home and will likely increase the number of people who will consider purchasing. It’s also been estimated that they will increase your homes appraisal value by several percentage points.